Business & Commerce in Penzance
Newlyn Harbour Facilities
The harbour provides the following facilities for the fishing industry at Newlyn:-
- Fish Market:
- Approximately 1,500 sq.m of floor area and features two chill rooms. Beamers are able to land their catches direct into the market.
- Total quayage is just over 900m. Draft alongside is from zero to 3.0m at MLWS and from 3.7m to 8.5m at MHWS.
- Ice & Water:
- Ice is supplied by private contractor (W. Stevenson & Sons) from a plant very near the fish market. The plan has a capacity of 70 tonnes of flake and crushed ice per day. The Cornish Ice Company also supplies a number of boats. Their capacity is in the region of 90 tonnes per day. Fresh water is also available on the quays.
- W. Stevenson & Sons provide a number of fuelling points at the berth located on the North Pier. Other companies deliver fuel by road tanker. Falmouth Oil Supplies also maintain a fuel barge, moored in the harbour.
- Fish Handling:
- Boats largely use their own derricks and winches. Plastic market boxes are provided, together with aluminium kits and scales.
- Ship Repair:
- There is a single slip capable of taking boats up to 27.4m in length and 4.0m draught on spring tides. Marine engineering and craft services are available locally.
- Provision and chandlers services are available locally.
For more about Newlyn, see:-